Catching Up WIth Friends

One thing that this lockdown has enabled me to do is develop my video conferencing skills. Initially this was for meetings with colleagues, but I have now branched out into using the facility for catching up with friends. From chatting to friends in New Zealand and Switzerland, I have even managed to encourage both my mum and my parents-in-law to branch out into this new technology.

But tonight it is my weekly 'Saturday Night In' with a dear group of friends. We had come back from our annual weekend away just before the pandemic was declared and have now got into the routine of meeting up on-line for a wee drink on a Saturday evening. Tonight it is quiz night - one of the girls has put together a set of questions to keep us occupied. I never thought I would see the day when I met up with friends for a social get-together through a computer screen.

Keeping in contact with friends and relatives during this crisis is really important. I have undertaken phoning two veterans who are connected to the Museum, one (age 88) has limited use of technology, the other (age 96) has only his landline.  But I like to check in on them weekly to ensure that they are well and have a little chat with them. Keeping in contact with my friends via video conferencing is also important. Some are stay at home mums with young children, others have elderly parents or are key workers.  It doesn't take much to pick up the phone or dial up via the laptop and you never know how much a friendly voice can help someone during these difficult times.

As I am currently furloughed, it is important that I take time out to check on those around me, including the Museum team. So whether chatting to my friends, colleagues or others, I shall ensure that I take time out to check in on folk, whether by phone or video call. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?