“Hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon.” Edward Lear

#International dance day
Whilst trawling through twitter earlier, I noticed it is international dance day. What a great subject for tonight's blog! I debated about recording a few steps from a salsa or a waltz, but felt no one would want to witness two left feet (plus I can't actually waltz!) so have parked that idea. But never say no. It maybe a worthwhile watch in the future.

I do have a dancing past, which may astound you all. No, I have not appeared in the audience of early episodes of Top of the Pops nor was I short-listed for a local version of Strictly. Yes, as a small child I used to go to ballet classes. Whilst we were stationed in Colchester, my dainty self (no comments here please!) regularly attended a local ballet school. Granted, I was just five/six years of age but I showed promise, mother made my ballet tutu and I performed a mean polka at my ballet exam. Which I passed with flying colours. However, aspirations at being the next Darcy Bussell (more like Margot Fonteyn) were dashed when we moved to Germany and there was no ballet classes available. My dancing career came crashing around my feet. So I joined the Brownies instead, but that story is for another blog post.

Whilst Learning manager at Tullie House, I did attend a Lindy Hop workshop and a Bollywood workshop. Infact, Bollywood was also performed at the Military Museum in 2017 as part of our India festival which complimented our Soldiers of the Raj temporary exhibition. Not quite the sort of workshop you would expect at a Military Museum, but those creative juices like to flow and the Raj exhibition gave us a perfect opportunity to explore the Indian subcontinent for our summer programme. I worked with the lovely Priya, a local dancer, who put together a week-long range of activities including several dance workshops. Not only did she encourage visitors to take part in some basic dance moves (including my then fifteen year old) but she brought two of her students to the Museum to perform some Indian dances. Exceptionally talented, Priya really brought the Museum alive with her vibrant coloured costumes, enthusiasm and passion for Indian dancing. A wonderful celebration which tied into the 70th anniversary of Indian Independence.

I have wondered during this lockdown if I should spend time learning dance moves under the tutelage of YouTube. I tried to encourage the eighteen year old to join me 'Fancy learning some salsa moves or giving the jive a go?' but prancing about the sitting room with your old mother maybe isn't the best pastime for a teenager. I have read that dancing helps you to stay physically and  mentally fit (and would prevent me from eating yet another cake) and I certainly could do with a boost as we head towards the sixth week of being quarantined. Maybe I should just take the plunge. So, folks, check out the next line-up for Strictly in the autumn...I just need to brush off those sequins! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?