'I don't need therapy, I just need to go camping!'


With this wonderful weather and the lack of time away, the eighteen year old and I decided to go 'on holiday' in the garden this week. Not quite exotic climes, but a great way of breaking the routine of being at home.

I've aways liked camping. We have camped as a family, first taking the eighteen year old away for the first time when she was five months old. I've camped with Guides, Scouts, friends, in the UK, France, Germany and even Uganda. I've camped in all weathers and in all seasons. There is nothing like being in a tent.

So it seemed logical (did I mention my cancelled holiday?) that we recreated a night away by pitching the tent in the backgarden.  I did suggest we pack our bags, leave the house by the front door then go round to the backgarden and pitch up as if we were arriving at a campsite. But that didn't go down too well, that idea. We did have a family barbeque and lit the chiminea to have that real outdoor experience.

The night went fairly well until the cat realised that there were people sleeping in the tent. In the early hours, I could hear him creeping round the outside of the tent. I got up and chased him away. A few hours later he repeated the experience only this time he decided to launch himself at the side of the tent, landing on my head, which was followed by a few choice words. The eighteen year old, woken from her slumber, then informed me that her feet were cold and she was going to return to her bed. I managed a couple of hours extra sleep before the extremely loud dawn chorus followed by another visit by the cat.

I gave up and got out of bed, making myself a coffee. My short holiday had come to an end. Nice while it lasted you always have to return everyday life. Just hope it's not long til my next holiday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?