The Growing Season is Upon Us


Whilst the Museum is closed, we still have to regularly check Alma Block to ensure that everything is safe and secure. Today, Nick's visit co-incided with the blossoming of the only tree on-site. With the sun shining, the vibrant pink blossom looks beautiful against the background of the buildings. As the blossom has a short shelf life, none of the Castle visitors will be able to see this beautiful springtime display this year. Shame.

We certainly have been blessed with some fine weather recently. I am desperate to get outside into my garden although I have managed to sew some seeds and start the growing season off in the Wooding household. We cleaned our greenhouse so I can put the seeds in there during this wonderful weather, bringing them into the house at night. This all makes me seem like I know what I am talking about! I do like to grow tomatoes and cucumbers - there is nothing quite like taking them off the plant and immediately eating them. I also have potatoes chitting ready to go into the ground, however I need to tackle the overgrown veg patches before I can get them planted. Maybe that's a job to undertake whilst I am furloughed.

Planting my veg reminds me of the time when I worked with a group of youngsters on a Dig for Victory garden at Tullie House Museum in 2005, as part of the 60th anniversary commemorations for the end of WWII. We did lots of research into 1940s vegetables before we dug up part of the beautiful garden to plant them, including favourites such as potatoes, peas and parsnips. Unfortunately, the Museum used the garden as a backdrop for wedding photographs so it was not a popular move on my part.  However, many wedding couples actually liked this unusual backdrop and lots of photographs were snapped infront of the carrots and lettuces.  Suddenly the D4V garden became acceptable but only for that year - we still had to dismantle it at the end of the annual growing season.  Not sure people would have worried about the mix of weddings and vegetable gardens 75 years ago...

photos courtesy of Nick, the sole Museum employee!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?