The Legacy of Flo continues...


Today, as a bit of a change, I signed up for a free lunchtime lecture provided by the National Army Museum. The subject was 'Florence Nightingale at 200' and I thought this would be an interesting subject with the current situation. Like many others, I clapped for the NHS last night, and I tweeted for International Nurses Day on Tuesday. Both a nephew and a niece are nurses and I am very proud of them, so I pressed the button and signed up, ready for the presentation at midday.

The beauty of this talk was I could attend it from the comfort of my own sofa, complete with coffee, and not worry about my mismatching attire. We were encouraged to submit questions beforehand in a bespoke box on-screen, all questions then laid out for attendees to read. Many asked about the link to Mary Seacole, the hospital in Scutari and Florence's illness. I was attending as a spectator not only to learn more during her bicentenary year, but to see how the whole on-line lecture process worked.

At midday, my screen suddenly came to life and contained three faces, very much live. The host and two speakers were with me in my house (I wish I had dusted and the cat would stop snoring). Speakers were introduced and the event outline was shared with everyone. The host speaker was the lovely Emma, who I worked with for four years when I was at the NAM. She ran through a powerpoint highlighting items from the NAMs' collections, including both photographs and objects. The other two speakers (one from the Florence Nightingale Museum and the other a Trustee from the Military Medicine Museum) were asked for contributions relating to specific elements of Florence's story, to bring in a wider perpective. Technology worked well and we could see/hear all speakers clearly and the powerpoint was easy to follow. I couldn't help but notice that Emma's dining room looked nice and tidy. Thank goodness it wasn't me on screen. (Note to self - need to tidy bookshelves stacked to the brim behind me.)

From 'Florrie's lorry' to one of the turkish lamps she carried around the Scutari wards in the 1850s, I learnt a little more about this affluent female pioneer. Her nurses viewed her as dictatorial, she contracted Crimea fever from which she suffered throughout her life, her painstaking collection of statistics helped her argue her case re mortality rates to parliament. The speakers highlighted the similarities of the new Nightingale hospital at the Excel with the 3,000 bed Scutari ward, the washing of hands and obsession with hygiene and how her statistics legacy continues today. Wow, I was lapping this up. I would never have been able to attend this if it had been delivered live at the Museum in Chelsea!

Being able to access this online had provided me with an opportunity to learn more about 'the lady with the lamp.'  What was equally as interesting was the direct connections to what is happening today and the further discussions about the medical role of the Army and its connection to the civilan medical services. Although I was hooked in by the bicentennial of Flo, it was adapting the content to highlight elements of the current situation that proved equally as interesting. Well done to the National Army Museum. I shall certainly be signing up next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...