Paying my Respects this Morning



I try to bike to work as much as possible. It is great thinking time and (hopefully) is keeping me fit. I also like to vary my journey to and from work. Alot of my journey is through neighbouring countryside before I head into Carlisle towards the Castle.

A few of my routes take me past war memorials, a couple are in church yards, one is in the grounds of a village hall and the biggest one is the county memorial in Rickerby Park. This little one on the photo is found in the tiny village of Blackford, in the church grounds, next to the school. This morning I stopped by the side of the road to have a quick look and take this photo. It is obviously still cared for and a focus for remembrance, shown by the wreaths next to it.

I checked the Imperial War Museum list of memorials when I got home. The celtic cross style memorial was unveiled on 20 February 1921, the ceremony attended by Mayor Irwin of Justicetown and the Bishop of Carlisle. It has inscriptions for  seven men from the local area, four from the First World War and three from the Second World War. On closer inspection, I could see that some of the men served with the Border Regiment, the local infantry regiment whose collections can be found in the Museum.

We have plenty of enquiries at the Museum as people research their local war memorial. This type of research increased considerably during the First World War centenary years. The staff team gave help and guidance as much as possible, pointing people in the right direction, but sometimes information is very limited or doesn't even exist.

At Blackford, there is an inscription on the memorial:
Their name liveth for evermore / In memory of the men of this parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918 - (and on a different face of the memorial) 1939-1945
My pausing by the memorial this morning was an opportunity  for me to pay my respects. When I pass the other memorials on my journey, I will pause and do the same. It is important we do not forget, 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?