The Peoples' Stories

Throughout the lockdown we still have a responsibility to check on the Museum, to make sure there are no problems and inspect the collections. Today I headed down to Alma, watching folk on their daily walk (despite the cold weather) and gazing in amazement at the queue to go shopping in the neighbouring Sainsbury's as I journey to the Castle. First call, kettle on for a warming coffee.

The lack of noise, chatter, the hustle and bustle of visitors, volunteers and staff is absent but as I walk round the main gallery there is no shortage of people. I like to check the building without putting on the main lights so the only illumination is the emergency lighting. No sounds from Helen Skelton on our audio tracks, no soundtrack of explosions and machine guns in the trench area. It's eerily quiet except the sound of my voice as I talk whilst wandering round. Half-lit display cases highlight the people who form part of the history of the Regiment. Objects with their own stories to tell, offering a window to the past. I feel quite honoured to be on my own in this space.

As I drift past the Arroyo drums gleaming in the half light, the Sebastapol twin-headed eagle dominating the Crimea case, the machine gun captured during the First World War, I find myself at the back of the gallery. And there he is, as large as life, looking down from his place on the wall. The large black and white photograph of Jack weighed down by his kit and equipment, posing for the camera. I always make sure I wish him 'good mornig' as I go past. There have been many mornings where I have had a wee conversation with him as I undertake my checks. I wonder what he would think of the Museum? I wonder how he would feel being part of the permanent story? 

The Museum is about people... from telling their stories to welcoming them in to Alma to find out about those stories. Sometimes our visitors bring in more information that can add to a story, provide further detail or clarification. They bring with them photographs, archives and objects which add to the story. Currently Alma is closed but those stories are still there, waiting to be told. At present, we are continuing to engage people online, offering a virtual insight into the Museum. We are really keen to welcome everyone back into Alma but be assured, we continue to look after the collections and showcase the history to the best of our ability.

Thanks Jack for helping with my blog post today.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?