A Chance to do Research?

I might use this enforced time at home to do some of those jobs that I have always wanted to do but never seem to get round to it. You know, tidy the kitchen drawer, tackle the garden, sort out the spare bedroom or even research my family tree. 

You might wonder why I haven't researched my family tree when I work in a Museum.  I've always been impressed by how many people undertake research inspired by their family stories, letters, photos. We often get enquiries at the Museum and the staff team are really good at helping and assisting with information.  But I never quite seem to find time to research my family tree.  Although keen to help the eager researcher my family history is consigned to a shelf in my house.  Yet like many I have fragmented bits of information taken from family members.  Add to this photos, some letters, a few objects and an interest in history...you would think that I would be up there proving that I am related to Elizabeth I.

But I never seem to get round to it. Consigned as a winter job for those long nights, time has drifted by and my ecletic collection of source material is still on that shelf.  Maybe now is the time to tackle this task. To find out about my own personal history, identify my ancestor who is in this wonderful photo album that I have been entrusted with. A photo album that contains images taken in the 1860s when photography was still in its infancy. I am fascinated by the images of bearded soldiers taken in exotic locations around the world but no little about my relative.

The Museum also contains plenty of images of soldiers taken in exotic locations but sadly we often do not know the names of the people within the picture. Photos can throw up clues to when and where they were taken, from the style of uniform to the background. Unfortunately, it is not as easy to identify the soldiers within it unless names are included in the album or on the back of the photo. As custodians of these images we have a duty of care, to look after and preserve them for future generations. What we hope is that some day some of the soldiers within the pictures might be identified and we can help more people connect with their relatives when researching their family tree.   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...