Schools Out...

Day two since the schools were closed (excluding the weekend for those that are already challenging this statement!).  How is it all going, I hear you ask...So I am sharing the house with an eighteen year old who has been busy with several virtual lessons, some video chats with her mates, eating sweets, making a short video based on Gavin and Stacey, tidying her sock drawer and adding to the washing-up pile by the sink.  It's going fine.  She has taken over the dining room and adopted Alexa as her new music friend.  I have been banished to the sitting room with a cat that snores and the EU ironing mountain that shouts out 'iron me, iron me' whilst I am trying to update risk assessments and plan holiday workshops.

I am not sure how this will continue to work out in the long term.  I am currently working from several purple lever arch files and some blue cardboard folders, large brown sheets of paper with plans on and my treasured A4 diary (the bible).  My life is now documented through stationery.  Both of us home-workers are keeping to our own locations and only coming together at lunchtime for a bit of mother and daughter communication.  I am witnessing first hand the exotic diet of supernoodles and vanilla lattes that my daughter exists off of.  I am trying to keep us to some sort of routine so that we don't fall into the netflix and pyjama category but this is only day two - who knows how long this can last?

So when I remembered the poster attached to this blog, I did wonder whether I could instigate room inspections and homework checks.  Perhaps I need to be more forceful and tune into Joe Wicks every morning for us both to undertake an hour of PE to start the day.  Maybe I need to introduce my daughter to the age old art of washing up.  Of course for us both, we are having to adapt to new working conditions and be self-disciplined in completing our tasks.  We have to understand the needs of each other in a work place, not as mother and daughter in the home.  

I quite miss the displays and exhibitions at the Museum, the planning and organising with the team, the daily banter with veterans and visitors, the coffee and cake in the kitchen, the creative ideas and exciting opportunities of my work.  I appreciate that many of us are currently working from home and are having to adapt to a different routine.  But the Museum continues to operate but now must adapt and change to the situation we all find ourselves in.  Maybe I could ask my eighteen year old for advice on some of my ideas and seek her opinion on things we have planned.  Perhaps in-between video production and super noodles, this daily engagement with a teenager might actually benefit the Museum in the long run! 

Comments

  1. I am sure you will get inspiration from your daughter and its great to have input from the next generation I look forward to reading about new ideas

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...