A Trip Down South


                                    

One of my volunteer roles is as a Trustee of the Royal Military Police Museum. Today would have been our summer Trustee meeting so it seems appropriate dedicating this blog post to the fantastic team at the RMP Museum.

Based at Southwick Park in Hampshire, the Museum is close to my heart as it showcases the history of the Corps in which my dad served. For his 80th birthday, I took him on a visit and he was treated to a personal guided tour by the curator, Richard and his assistant, Matthew. Dad loved it, reminiscing about Army life and even recognising some of the equipment which was on display in the Museum. A few years ago the Museum Director asked if I would become a Trustee, a piece of news I excitedly shared with dad. He was really supportive, and it was that enthusiasm and the personal connection with the Corps which was the driver behind my acceptance.

It is a long way down south to the Museum and I have to stay overnight in the Officer's Mess. This lovely old building was Eisenhower's headquarters for D-Day, and the original large scale map is still on the wall in one of the rooms. I often wander into the village, stopping at the local pub, admiring the photos and artefacts that adorn the walls reminding drinkers of this unique period of history.

I thoroughly enjoy my role as a Trustee. I get to understand the running and management of the Museum from a different viewpoint. I always make time to visit the Museum and talk to the staff, to see what fabulous work they have been doing, and use this opportunity to discuss the Museum and share ideas. The role is one that connects both my full-time job with this volunteering role. A role which I feel both Museums benefit from. 

So as I sit here this evening, I will raise a glass to the staff and Trustees of the RMP Museum. I look forward to heading your way when it is safe and possible to do so.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?