Game, Set and Match...

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

Today would have been the first day of Wimbledon. Like many other sporting events, it has been cancelled due to coronavirus. I shall miss my daily fix of the Championships, watching matches whilst eating my tea, or listening on the radio whilst driving.

Not that I am a tennis player. I once went on a tennis course during the school holidays, but I am no Johanna Konta. More ball girl on one of the outside courts. But I do love to watch Wimbles and have even been lucky enough to head down to SW19 to watch a few shots. I have never applied for tickets, but have been part of the daily queue to gain entrance to the ground. All part of the tennis experience.

I first went to Wimbledon with the school. I loved the whole atmosphere, was fixated with the speed of the game and power of the serve. I took some photos of Roscoe Tanner (showing my age here), squeezed onto the centre court to glimpse Virgina Wade, and saw Bjorn Borg in the car park. Yep, I was mixing with the stars. 

Fast forward ten plus years. In my twenties, my friend Amanda and I decided to head down to Wimbledon for the day. We queued up in the local park, patiently waiting to gain entrance, bought a programme to plan our day, visited various courts to watch a variety of tennis players, treated ourselves to a wee Pimms and mingled with other tennis fans. It was fabulous! So fabulous, in fact, that we visited on and off for a number of years. 

After a break of about fifteen years, (fifteen - love?) I decided I wanted to go back to the All England Club and take in the atmosphere and excitement of the Championships. This time I took my friend Debs, who had never been before. We headed down for the day, walked from Southfields Tube station to the park and were greeted with a well-planned and organised queueing system, something that I did not recognise! We shuffled obediently along until we got into the ground. It was a hot day and we had taken our own Pimms and strawberries, found a seat on court number four and spent a happy couple of hours taking in the game. We wandered round the grounds stopping to watch various games on the outside courts, bought another Pimms and headed for Henman Hill or Murray Mound to watch a centre court cliff-hanger match on the big screen before heading home in the evening, tired but happy.

So I, for one, will miss my yearly fix of match points and extra-ordinary shots, the John McEnroe & Tim Henman commentary and retractable roof, the sound of ball on bat and the ooo's and arrrr's of the crowd. Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and the Championships were last cancelled in World War Two, so hopefully it will be back in full force next year. There may even be a visit down to South London next June...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?