Cancelled and Limited Commemorations for the 76th Anniversary of Arnhem

 

Last year I was lucky enough to go the Netherlands to take part in the commemorations of the 75th anniversary of Operation Market Garden. Determind to be independent (leaving booking accommodation to the last minute!) I decided to head to Oosterbeek by train, heading to Amsterdam by Eurostar to change trains for Oosterbeek, carrying all my kit and equipment for six nights under canvas.

I had a vested interest in visit the Netherlands as the 1st Battalion of the Border Regiment were part of the 1st Air Landing Brigade who arrived west of Arnhem in 1944 to help defend the landing and drop zones. I was keen to find out where they had seen action and decided camping would allow me the flexibilty to go as I pleased. What I hadn't appreciated was the campsite was beside the river, right next to the Church where many soldiers were evacuated on the night of the 25th September. I couldn't have chosen a better base.

The town was full of Paras who were there to commemorate 'a bridge too far' and sup a beer or two. I hired a bike and visited various areas, watched a parachute drop, and went to the museum at the Hartenstein (HQ of General Urqhart). I was lucky enough to go to the cemetery on the Sunday morning for the commemorative ceremony. It was also good to see the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment there to represent the Border Regiment. The highlight was seeing the Dutch schoolchildren placing flowers on the headstones, remembering those soldiers who gave their lives to help liberate their country.

This year many of the commemorations have been cancelled or limited due to the pandemic. There will be no opportunity to visit the various places that 1 Border were based, or to pay respects at the cemetery. By putting up the small commemorative display at the Castle, outside the Museum, we are safely paying our respects at the Border Regiment Depot, and remembering those from the Regiment who took part in Op Market Garden in 1944. Hopefully restrictions will be eased by next year and I will be able to visit Oosterbeek to pay my respects in person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Socially Distanced Alternative?

Once a Guide, Always a Guide...

Anti-Bacterial wipes for the Medieval Castle?